Thursday, December 11, 2008

Rockin' and Rollin'

It's coming up to a rather interesting weekend. We here in the Pacific Northwest may get some snow. My bet is that it won't happen but will rain and freeze. That's typical December. It usually doesn't snow until after the first of the year. How can I be so sure? Don't I trust the weatherman? Sure I do...to an extent, but it is real science and so I should probably put more faith in that than...

This article "Ringing Ears, Tired George" found at www.halfpasthuman.com and www.urbansurvival.com. It is reported that web bot technology has been used to predict a pair of killer earthquakes somewhere in the world in the next few days. I heard one prediction that said it would start in the Pacific Northwest. Another said that the middle part of the country would be hit.

I guess the gist of it is that people have a psychic event and start to chatter about things like this that are especially distressing. The result is a reliable prediction. Me, I'm skeptical. Sounds like a lot of new age hooey. I've passed the word along to my peers at work and my carpool just so that I can say, "I told you so" in the remarkably unlikely event that this happens.

This isn't the first time the big one has been predicted for us. About 15 years ago there was a news story in the paper about people picking up mysterious hitchikers on I-405 who predicted a devestating earthquake on a specific day. That did make me nervous and caused me to take careful inventory of my families emergency preparedness.

The web bot thing, I don't believe, doesn't even approach legitimate science. You make enough vague predictions some of them are bound to come true...especially with the fudging of some facts.  But the purpose this does serve is giving us pause to consider our own preparedness because, even though the big one may not hit tomorrow, we can be pretty sure that it eventually will. 

Now, I'm going to wrap the pipes, make sure there is gas in the car, and call my dad about borrowing his generator in the event that the winter storm does come. Because the weatherman is not often completely wrong. But I'm also going to take inventory of my families preparedness because even though the webbot is rarely right, it is never wrong to be prepared.






No comments: