Monday, November 24, 2008

Just Doesn't Seem Right

I read this article about the economic plan presented by our President Elect. http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2008/11/24/obama-set-unveil-new-economic-team/There was at least one part that didn't seem quite right. 
"We've got to restore some balance to our tax code and the Bush tax cuts were disproportionately targeted to the very wealthiest Americans --those who were making more than a quarter million dollars a year can afford to pay a little more," 

Is it me? Am I biased or does it seem wrong that prosperity has made the successful a target?  I don't make $250k a year, but if I did...I know that I would feel like I am being treated unfairly. I suppose there is something to be said for a flat tax.  I wouldn't mind being wealthy, but not if I am to be vilified for it. If this is a sign of things to come...then government is out of control already.


Speaking of which, watch this devotional about the Moral Purposes of Law and Government by Robert George:

http://byubqt.byu.edu/BYUForum/2008/10/BYUForum20081028-2345.mp4 

He doesn't talk about taxing the wealthy...he talks about Abortion and same-sex marriage, but the overall theme is the role of government as a vehicle to advance and protect the well-being of the citizens. He makes clear that people are not a cog in the wheel of Government. It isn't about the citizen working for the benefit and betterment of government but the other way around. It seems to me that the idea of taxing the wealthiest for the greater good...goes contrary to the ideal upon which our nation was founded. 

No comments: